Join the Leap into Writing Email List to stay up-to-date with the latest writing prompts, important dates, and writing tips!
Have you ever wanted to write but couldn’t find the time? Or you didn’t know where to start? Or you didn’t think anyone would read your work so what’s the point?
If you’ve had any of these thoughts Neenah Public Library’s new program “Leap into Writing” is for you! Begin with a writing prompt, write a flash fiction piece between 500 and 1,000 words, and get feedback from fellow authors.
Here’s how it works:
- Using that month's writing prompt as a starting point, write a complete flash fiction piece between 500 and 1,000 words.
- Email your story as a .PDF to email@example.com.
- F;ash fiction should be formatted in 12-point, Times New Roman font. Single spaced.
- Please include YOUR NAME and a TITLE of the Flash Fiction and WORD COUNT! NO more than 1,000 words.
- After you submit your flash piece, you will receive info regarding the meeting date.
October's Writing Prompt is: "Fairy Tale"
Flash Fiction must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, Oct 1st! Flash Fiction should be formatted in 12-point, Times New Roman font. Single spaced. Please submit your Flash Fiction as a .PDF. Please Title your Flash Fiction and include your Name and Word Count. Include your name and library card number in the email. After you submit, you will receive info on the upcoming feedback session.
What is Flash Fiction?
Flash Fiction is more than a super short story. When writing flash fiction, keep these guidelines in mind:
- Flash fiction usually focuses on 1 or 2 characters.
- Flash fiction should focus on 1 MOMENT or SITUATION. Think minutes instead of days, weeks, or months.
- Don’t try to cram an entire short story into flash fiction. It won’t work.
- Avoid excessive backstory or exposition. Jump right in!
Still have questions about flash fiction? Here is a wonderful resource with many great examples.